Non-fiction also includes a variety of different genres such as:
- Autobiography - when the author is writing about their life story.
- Biography - a narrative of a person's life.
- Letter writing – writing to someone, can be formal or informal.
- Diary entry – writing that has been organized by date. The entries within a diary include thoughts, feelings and opinions.
- Balanced Argument – where you present an argument and information from different viewpoints.
- Persuasive writing – writing that tries to persuade or convince a reader what you want them to believe about a certain topic.
- Discussion texts – is a process of finding a solution between two different thoughts, views or opinions.
- Non-chronological reports – is written about a person, animal, place or topic. They are usually factual.
- Newspaper reports – tell a news story which informs readers of what is happening in the world around them.
- Recount - tell someone about something; give an account of an event or experience.
- Instructions – explain how to do something such as a recipe or directions.
- Explanation texts – used to explain the sequence, cause and effect of an event.
- Review – critical and constructive analysis of something such as a book or film review.